Philip J Reed on behalf of Richmond American Homes, a builder of new homes nationwide
Moving day is an exciting start to a new chapter in your life. However, it can also be stressful if you leave everything until the last minute. Fortunately, there a few ways to make the experience as smooth as possible. By following the five tips below, you’ll be sure to arrive at your new house relaxed and ready to start making it a home.
- Gather Boxes Ahead of Time – As soon as you know you’re going to move, you should start gathering boxes. You can buy boxes too, but it’s smart to get as many for free as you can. Check with friends, relatives and coworkers. Ask stores where you shop regularly if they have any spare boxes. By doing this over a period of several weeks, you should have plenty of boxes when moving day arrives.
- Start Packing Early – There’s no law that says everything needs to be packed immediately before you move. Sort out your belongings and start packing the things that you rarely use. Good places to check are basements and attics. When your moving day draws nearer, you’ll have less to do.
- Get Rid of Unwanted and Unneeded Things – The fewer things you have to move, the easier your move is going to be. Take a critical look at what you own. Identify things that you no longer need or want and find ways to get rid of them. Selling items in a garage sale or on community sites such as Craigslist can help you profit from downsizing. You can also donate lightly used items to non-profits such as the Salvation Army or Goodwill.
- Create a Moving Checklist – Without being organized, you can’t hope to have a stress-free move. Write a checklist of the things that need to be done before, during and after moving day. Consult the list regularly. Make sure that it includes things like switching the utilities and updating your address.
- Get Help – Moving is one thing that you don’t want to handle on your own. If you can afford to, hire a professional moving company to help you. If you’d rather spend as little as possible on your move, recruit friends, relatives and others to help you instead. Offer free food and drinks to sweeten the deal. Just make sure that you’re willing to return the favor someday.
With these stress-free moving tips, you’re sure to get through this experience with your sanity intact.